We all have a desire to improve. Maybe that's learning a new skill like juggling, playing the piano, or maybe even running a 5K. One major factor core to human motivation is the innate desire and energy to developing skills and mastering them. The same goes for the workplace. We may have a desire to improve our overall performance at our jobs, demonstrate company values, set long term careers objectives, or find new strengths. This is where coaching comes into play.
Let's walk through some of the key components of Coaching! To access Coaching, please do the following:
- In Motivosity select "Manage"
- Find and select "Coaching"
- Then, you can click on a team member from the list shown to provide Coaching!
The Coaching Panel
The coaching panel is designed to capture written feedback for coaching by the manager for their team. Typically, you'll see two categories here; Job Results and Values Fit. These categories are the default to what Motivosity has for managers to fill out for coaching for their team. This may vary from company to company as these can be customized in Setup.
Note: To customize the categories and ratings for Coaching, please see this article here.
This feature allows managers and employees to have a focus on career development as they work together. As a manager, you have the ability to enter in objectives for your employees to achieve. You also will have the ability to invite your employee to add career objective here as well.
To do this, select the option that reads, "Invite [EMPLOYEE NAME] to Add Career Objectives"
These objectives can then be marked as complete by selecting the check box at the end of each objective.
Strengths are similar to career objectives where managers and employees can enter and manage specific strengths. As a manager, you can enter in strengths for your individual employees that they emulate within the workplace to help create a focus on what to build on during Coaching sessions.
Tips and Ticks: Not sure what to add for a strength? No worries! Go ahead and select the "Suggestions" option under Strength and we'll provide you a few options to select from.
With this feature we also have added the ability for other employees and peers to endorse an employee for the strengths that have been added. These endorsements can come in two ways:
- One can be from the employees profile page. To endorse a strengths on a profile page, you can do the following:
- Navigate to a peers profile page
- On the right-hand side, hover over a strength you want to endorse
- In the blue section a '+' icon should appear and once clicked will endorse the strength
- If you endorse the wrong strength, go ahead and hover over the section again and select the '-' icon.
- You can also endorse a strength through peer to peer feedback. If a manager has invited peers to provide feedback for one of their team members, they will also have the option to enter or endorse strengths.
360 Feedback can be thought of as Peer to Peer feedback. As a manager, you can request your team or others to provide feedback for your individual team members. To request feedback, go ahead and select the red "360 Feedback" button.
From here, you'll have the ability to do the following:
- Send out Peer Invitations. You can either type out the individuals name you want to provide feedback, or select the "Select Team" button to add your entire team.
- You can then add a note or keep the one we have for you to explain why you are looking for feedback for your team member.
- Once you are done, go ahead and select "Send Invite"
Those who you select will then have the opportunity to fill out feedback just as you have for the team member.
Saving the Coaching Session and Feedback History
Saving the Coaching Session
Once you are finished filling out the Coaching section for your team member you can go ahead and select one of the two options:
- "Save" will save your feedback but will keep it private to you as the manager for 15 days.
- "Share with [EMPLOYEE NAME]" will send the feedback to your employee and add an item to your next 1 on 1.
Tips and Tricks: You can also save the Coaching session as a PDF by selecting the "Download PDF" option next to the save button!
Once you have finished, the Coaching Session will then be saved in the Feedback History section on the right-hand side of the page.
All feedback history will display here whether the feedback was provided by you as the manager, or by peers. You can also download these sessions as a PDF by selecting the cloud icon in each individual session box.